Back in July of 2011, when I was just starting to get exposed to programming, I decided to turn my newly invented game idea for Transcolors into a Scratch project! The visuals are simple, largely based on the puzzle notation I invented when I was first brainstorming the idea, with orange lines around every transformer and a flag icon for the finish.
I managed to program three or four levels with Scratch. But it proved to be really tedious after a while. Scratch doesn’t have much flexibility for dynamically created objects, and much less for storing level data. Everything in Scratch is a sprite you must manually create (at least in Scratch 1.0, the version that I used back then).
The logic for color matching is based on the actual colors I used to paint the levels. All the red transformers, for instance are painted a certain shade of red. When the square touches this exact shade of red, it will transform to be red. You’ll notice that the flag is a lighter shade than the transformers’ colors – when the square touches the corresponding lighter shade, that’s how the program detects that you’ve completed the level.
I have not touched this project a single bit since I made it. There may be bugs. And I hope you don’t mind the cheesiness of the tutorials. But hopefully, you’ll get the idea of how I first envisioned Transcolors, and compare it with what the game later came to be!