Today marks 19 months after this site officially started in March of 2015. That said, it’s been more than a year since I’ve published anything substantial to my blog or added to my portfolio. Yikes.
So I’m going to make a resolution. At the start of every month, I’ll give a rundown of what I’ve accomplished, things I plan to add to the site, and things I’m dreaming of making or doing.
Running a blog takes a lot of discipline, and I’d love to start it back up again and keep it that way. I’m counting on all you readers to hold me accountable!
What I’ve Done
On This Site
- Wrote and taught two week-long coding workshops to middle schoolers over the past summer (July – August). Detailed blog post coming soon!
- Built an automated online sign-up and payment system for the above workshops. Yes, it’s actually been put to use, and I’m really happy about that!
- Rebuilt my WordPress installation from scratch and rewrote all the code in my child theme in July. All the content had to be internally reorganized in order to accommodate for the new payment system. Because I wanted to keep the load times fast, I purposely did not transfer many features from the previous site. So if you’re wondering why the site looks plain and slightly disjointed, it essentially just went through a downgrade. I hope to add most of the old features back very soon (see “Things I Want To Do”).
- Redesigned the layout for embedded Khan Academy projects on various project pages. Here’s one.
- Redesigned the layout of the projects on the front page. Check out those slick animations!
- Worked on the website design for Music Experienced, our first client at Platform Meister. Music Experienced is a platform where musicians and producers discuss the latest happenings in the music production industry, from artists to equipment. We officially launched the site in mid-September.
Coming Up Next On This Site
- Lots of blog posts, mini-tutorials, and projects to add to this online portfolio.
- Revival of various features from before the aforementioned site rebuild in July, including:
- Social Profiles menu.
- Intuitive navigation between projects.
- Isotope filters on the projects page.
- Detailed project summaries.
- A brand new Experiments menu! I’ll write a blog post about it to go along with the release.
- SVG-ified lead images for project pages.
Things I Want To Do
On This Site
- Write about the numerous projects I’ve done on Khan Academy over the past five years.
- Publish the numerous music compositions I’ve written over the past five years. I’m highly considering compiling them into an album I can sell.
- Rewrite all the text on my already existing project pages (I cringe at my writing style from two years ago).
- Revive the Easter Eggs project from before the site rebuild in July.
- Create a more immersive color experience. Sample dominant colors from lead images on project pages and blog posts, then incorporate them into the background and page styling.
- Add to my About page.
- Write my very own WordPress theme.
- Rewrite the Transcolors App using Swift and SpriteKit. Let me just be honest here – this project has fallen into the worst neglect despite numerous promises I’ve made, and my effort toward this area has been on and off. Plus, 3 iOS versions have come out since I started on it. I’m waiting to buy a new Mac for myself before diving into this one; all the Macs at my house are at least five years old, and testing the app in the simulator is quite a pain.
- Turn some of my artwork into T-shirts and other memorabilia.
- Open-source Amuse, a project I’m keeping secret for now.
Things To Learn